I’m in a constant struggle of what I want to do with my hair. Do I want it long? Yes. Do I want it short? Yes. Do I want it colorful? Yes. Do I want it natural? Yes. Do you see the problem? I want all of the things. So… I sat down and was like, “let’s get serious about this hair situation.”
This is my hair a couple of weeks ago, straightened. Right after I used Ion Color Brilliance on my hair. It washed out after 2 washes. I wouldn’t recommend that product, like at all. Anyway, this gives you an idea of how long my hair is right now. I’ll be posting more pictures of my hair when it’s not straightened, probably on instagram.
So, I’m going to grow my hair out. I want long mermaid hair. Why am I telling you this? Because you are going to hold me accountable for my hair growth. Yay!
But wait, there’s more.
I want -healthy- hair
I’ve compiled a list of things that I am going to do and products I’m going to use to ensure that.
- Kick the sulfates. I’m not going to use any sulfates in my hair. This isn’t too big of a deal because I’ve already made the switch to no sulfates. I didn’t even mean to do this one but I did. Mostly because I’m obsessed with the Not Your Mother’s hair products so I gradually made the switch over and didn’t even realize I was cutting out sulfates.
- Little to No Heat. Okay, this one is going to be the hardest for me. I have wavy hair. I generally straighten it because if I don’t it ends up being a big poofy mess. But, Alabama is hot and I hate blow drying my hair because you just end up sweating and getting your hair all gross again anyway… So Little to no heat. Preferably no heat.
- Deep Condition/Hair Mask. I’m sometimes really good about putting in a hair mask or deep conditioner but I’m more than often not… So i’m going to try and do this at least once a week. I have really dry hair (Thanks, wavy hair… and bleach.) so I’m not worried too much about over conditioning it.
- No Color – Easy enough I haven’t really colored my hair in months. I put some pink Ion in a couple weeks ago but it’s already gone and it’s a non-damaging kind of dye (Like Manic Panic) so, this one will be super easy to follow.
- Hair Safe Accessories – No elastics, metal, etc. I use the hair ties without the metal connector already and hardly use bobby pins. I put my hair up while I sleep – usually on top of my head. That’s generally the only time my hair is up. Unless it’s super hot and then it goes up in a bun.
- Drink More Water/Take Vitamins. I’m so bad at vitamins. I’m horrible at it, actually. I take so many allergy medicines and asthma medicines that I hate the idea of taking another pill. But, I’m going to take my vitamins regularly. I’ve made an alarm on my phone even! I cut out soda a long time ago so I have been drinking a lot of juice and water already but I’m going to actively watch my water intake.
Things I’m already doing for my hair
- Boar Bristle Brush – These kinds of brushes naturally condition hair. I don’t brush my hair very often because it’s a combination of curly/wavy and when I do, it becomes a big poof of frizz. But, boar bristle brushes reduce the frizz and can even help cut back on the need for frequent washings. Pretty cool, eh? I love mine.
- Leave-in Conditioner – This is actually the only product I use in my hair. Crazy, right? I don’t use any curl product or anything, just leave-in conditioner. I can’t stand my hair feeling producty so I am super careful about what I put in my hair.
- Washing less often – I was my hair about once every three or so days. I can sometimes push it out more if my hair doesn’t look too bad. It was really easy for my to do this because I don’t have naturally oily hair so my hair doesn’t get that greasy look very often. I have no advice on how to do this, other than plan on having your hair up and investing in some dry shampoo if you have oily hair.
Do you have any hair tips for me? Let me know below